We work with two commercial partners, Viridor Waste Management Limited and Veolia (ES) (UK) Limited.
Between them, these two companies deliver a number of very important services to local residents on behalf of the Partnership:
Veolia is responsible for:
- Managing the six Household Reuse and Recycling Centres (commonly referred to as ‘the tip’) located across the Partnership region
- Selling on (or ‘marketing’) the recyclable materials that are brought to the six HRRC sites by residents – specialist companies purchase the recyclable materials and turn them into new products
Want to know more? Please visit our Household Reuse and Recycling Centres page for further details.
Viridor is responsible for:
- Providing and managing landfill capacity for disposing of household waste that cannot currently be recycled or composted – Viridor operates a landfill site at Beddington Lane in Sutton where the vast majority (about 90%) of the Partnerships’ non-recyclable waste is currently taken for disposal. Want to know more? Please visit our Waste disposal page for further details
- Providing recycling and composting facilities – with recycling and composting rates increasing dramatically across the four Partner Boroughs over the last decade, more capacity was needed to process and sort these materials. The contract awarded to Viridor in 2008 substantially increased the amount of recycling and composting that the Partnership is able to collect from residents
- Selling on (or ‘marketing’) the recyclable materials collected from households across the four Partner Boroughs – specialist companies purchase the recyclable materials and turn them into new products
- Treatment of residual waste – Viridor is currently building a new £205m, state-of-the-art Energy Recovery Facility (ERF) in Beddington, Sutton (on the same site as the existing landfill site). Once operational (in 2018) this facility will treat 95% of the non-recyclable waste collected from households across the Partnership region, instead of burying it in landfill. Want to know more? Please visit our Residual waste treatment page for further details
The Partnership is responsible for monitoring the performance of these contracts and ensuring that local residents are getting good value for money from our commercial partners.